lolagirl

My name is Lola

2,996 posts in this topic

I can see both points of wanting to hire someone and relax, and also wanting to cook in Italy. If they want to cook, let them. Then you can relax and have drinks. I know for me I like to busy in the kitchen when people are over. I can only sit down for an hour or two of conversation before I get bored and need to do something to keep busy.

Hope you have a great time!

Oh I hear you , but we are going to be cooking all week. And I know Susanne will end up doing some of the work, and I just want us all to sit by the pool, have drinks and celebrate.Start with some limoncello , wine with dinner, sambucca after. Just that one night. Or else her birthday will be like every other night. There is a market right up the street so we already have it planned that we will freeball it during the day and cook dinners at night. If anyone wants to go in the kitchen and help her, great but to have an authentic Italian meal cooked for us not in a restaurant setting will be wonderful.

Oh I see. I misread. Then i think you should fight to have a chef then. I mean a bunch of you are going, and if you all chip in like you said then what's the problem? Did you find a chef already, and did you ask for a quote? is it crazy pricey?

Why does everything have to be so complicated with people.

I hate cheap fucks about special occasions especially if it's to honor someone that deserves it and it sounds like she is. The price sounds extremely reasonable for what you described. I hope they agree to it. I love your idea of getting cards to give along with the playlist and video message. That's very thoughtful of you.

I know Maria right? I think everyone is on board.

Rachel the chef owns the Villa. Like I said we will be cooking a lot our selves, and in the description of the villa it says they have a herb garden and citrus trees that we can help ourselves to!

Here's the menu that she will make for us:

Stavo pensando come menù:

Antipasto misto : Appetizer plate with marinated veggies, fruit, cheese and cured Italian meats.

Timballo di melanzane : a timbale of eggplant with a tomato sauce

Pasta al pistachio: Pasta with pistachio

verdure tipo Caponatina: vegetables with a sauce

Polpette in foglia di limone e involtini: meatballs roasted in lemon leafs

Dolci misti Sweet rolls

Plus a cake and 5 bottles of wine. We could not have made this dinner for ourselves for $40 each. Or in a restaurant.

oh that sounds so lovely. I'll have to look those recipes up.

I say go for the chef! if they want to cook, let them, it's not about them though. It's about his sister. Plus the "we can all cook". No.

I think go for the chef, and let them experience what feels like to be pamper like that. The recipes sound very good and I'm sure you'll have a great time having fun by the pool, hearing the songs, seeing the videos, that's a fantastic idea.

I hope you a great time in Italy.

Thanks Gera. I think we booked the chef. I hope it's an unforgettable evening for her, hell for all of us.

Oh I do like that, it has a traditional and modern feel to it.

Lola, I received your lovely card. Thank you so much. I'm amazed at all the love and support I've received from people in general. It makes me feel good that people understand how much I loved him, and miss him in my life. I've been meaning to ask you about your friend who passed. I remember you spoke about him a few years back but I can't remember what thread it was. What happened to him? and were you dating him when he passed?

His name was Shawn,  and he got hit by a crack head in a hit and run.   We had broken up but were getting it back together.   It was horrifying.    But I meant what I said in that card,   one day soon the joy of knowing him will be stronger the pain of losing him.  I can promise you that.    It doesn't feel like it now, but it will.:t4617:

On 8/8/2016 at 9:26 PM, lolagirl said:

His name was Shawn,  and he got hit by a crack head in a hit and run.   We had broken up but were getting it back together.   It was horrifying.    But I meant what I said in that card,   one day soon the joy of knowing him will be stronger the pain of losing him.  I can promise you that.    It doesn't feel like it now, but it will.:t4617:

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read.

10 hours ago, Geraldine said:

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read.

:t4617:

I'm so sorry I missed this. Just yesterday i was thinking about your friend and still wondering what happened. Thanks for sharing. Were you with him when it happened, and if not did you get to see him before he passed, I mean in the hospital to say your goodbyes?

I'm starting to come to terms with Matt's death.. It's still this thing in my life I can't quite believe has happened, or is happening.. but it also helps that I'm not close to where he lived. His sister is really taking it hard because she's the executor of his will, and she has had to clear out his Apt. I can't imagine looking at Matt's things like that on a daily basis, smelling his scent and being able to hold it together. They were so close. I haven't called her in about a week because every time we talk we just cry throughout the conversation. I still had the clothes I wore to his funeral, unwashed, laid out neatly on the guest bed. It made me feel like I will still in that moment where I could still touch him and see him. I don't think I'll be ready to have those clothes dry-cleaned for a long time. Even the shoes I wore to his funeral are still nicely positioned in my closet. I don't know why the clothes I wore that day make me feel closer to him but they do. I guess it's like trying to trap air of your favorite location in a jar or something. That's the best way I can explain it. The sleeves of my blouse touched him when I embraced over him, so I smell them from time to time, but there's nothing there that smells like Matt. Understandably they didn't put cologne on him, but he always wore cologne.

I didn't get to say goodbye,  he was died on the spot.    I saw him the day before and we had plans for the next day.    I did go into his room and scream cry into his pillow,  it smelled like him.   Smells are so evocative.       After my mom died I found her pillow in my linen closet,( she kept it there for when they came down to visit) and it smelled just like her.......that was like a punch in the stomach and a soft hug all at the same time.   I still sleep with it today,  sadly the smell is gone but I hoarded it and tried not to smell it too much so I didn't smell it out of scent.  lol      My mom smelled so good,  fresh and crisp.  :touched: 

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:09 PM, Rachel said:

Lola, I saw this and thought of your lake house.

https://huckberry.com/store/shop/uuni

Oh man how cool would that be!?!  It's funny because we have a lot of table top cooking devices up there,  we have a raclette maker,  a few fondue pots, hobo pie maker(not table top but still) and our friends got us a table top s'mores maker.   That would be perfect,  l'd never have to turn on the oven again.   l would spend all my time trying to recreate the freakin' fabulous pizza we had in Sicily.

Lola, how is work? are you liking it. How are the other stylists?

I'm going to go post and update in my Big Changes journal right now.  Thanks for checking in!