Rachel

Konmari method

8 posts in this topic

I find this so fascinating. Chuck and I had started doing this when we were renting because it was such a pain to keep moving and storing shit, And after we had the fire we realized how easy it is to lose everything, so it made us tighten up even more. I'm still very minimalist in a way, but it's hard because our house is big and we want to furnish it. I always make sure I'm furnishing, and not "filling" it.

Looove Kimberly Clark, and I respect her views about consumerism. I saw last night she has this new video but couldn't watch it, I had to prepare dinner.

Anyway, I've been trying to give away stuff I don't use, that's still in great/good condition. Stuff I've been holding on to for unknown reasons and (for real), I've been moving it around with me for years! and still don't use it. :rolleyes: I haven't finished though, I still have to go through my clothes, kitchen, and 3 more closets, but slowly getting there, I hope Kimberly can help in this process. 

I love her anti-hauls video, especially the part where she sings, "what I'm not going to BUUUYYYYY" KABOOM! :happy0168:

I finished the book two nights ago because it was so damn boring, but the very next morning after I had finished I began to immediately purge my home of clutter. We already have one large donation box to get rid of, and I already feel cleansed. There are so many closets I have to hit that are stressing me out. Also draws that are a mess, the attic, Joshua's room, holiday decorations. Not looking forward to it, but I am at the same time. I already decluttered most of my kitchen. all of the hutch in the dining room, the yoga room,  we already feel lighter in our household. I hope to be done within the month.

I finally got rid of the wedding dress I never wore for my wedding. I still feel guilty about the waste of money, and seeing it was always a reminder of how stupid I was to buy it, although it was a very pretty gown. It kinda taught me to be sure that when I buy something I really love it. I gave it away to a local thrift shop. I wanted to donated to this org. that makes wedding dresses into burial outfits for babies that don't make it home from the hospital, but they only take donations certain times of year, and they don't have listed when is the next cycle. So I just gave it to a thrift store. I feel kind of sad even though i never wore it, because in the book it says I should say goodbye to the dress, as corny as that sounds, and I didn't, and when the lady took the dress, the lady acted like I was giving her a pair of jeans. It mde me feel sad that I gave it to the wrong people. I would have much rather found someone I knew would've enjoyed it, but you'd be surprised how difficult it is to get rid of a wedding dress. I tried a few years ago, and couldn't do it, so I'm glad I was finally able to give it away. I really hope a bride finds it and has a beautiful wedding day in it.

I need to watch those videos and read that book!   l sometimes go through the house with a garbage bag and just grab things and start tossing, and it feels sooooo good!  l have a lawn care lady that is lower income and raising 3 kids and l always ask her first when l purge if she needs/wants what l'm getting rid of and she usually takes it.  lt makes me feel good because the items are getting another life, and someone really wants them.

l know what you mean about your wedding dress, it would have been nice for her to acknowledge it for what it is,   but the bride that gets it certainly will!

I cheated, I didn't read the book, instead I went with the audio book on You Tube one day while I was cleaning around. One of the things she mentions is to not stock up, and I always do that with toilet paper and kitchen towels.

I think a bride will find your dress beautiful. Don't get discourage by the employee, sometimes they don't have the knowledge or education to appreciate things.

And the part that is equally as important for me as de-cluttering, probably more, is what I do with the things I declutter, how I dispose of it. Kimberly Clark spoke about minimizing your carbon footprint by disposing (trashing) as little as possible. So for me it's not just about throwing shit out, it's about finding a proper home for each and every item. So I see how that can be gratifyling, Lola, to give stuff away and know someone else is getting good use out of it.

Smart for not reading the book, Gera. Personally, I have no regrets, because it moved to want to go through this change in my life. I love it.