lolagirl

Big Changes Ahead for me!

67 posts in this topic

So l've decided to close Lola Salon, and let me tell you l am so happy!  A little backstory...l've been wanting to remodel the interior of the salon for a while now,  but 4 years ago my landlord put the building on the market and l didn't know who was going to buy it so l held off.  Well this fuckhole young house flipper and his friends bought it and let me tell you he is the cockiest little prick and l just never trusted him so again l put of the remod.  about a month ago we had a meeting because my lease was up and it was time to renegotiate.   I go into the meeting and he and his assistant (I usually deal with her) are there and he says "you are not going to like this but l'm raising your rent $600 a month."  l was like what the actual fuck, so l said " you know l feel like you've wanted me out of here for a while"  and he flipped his lid.   He said  " WHAT??  I thought we were friends??  Now l'm just a big dick huh?  l'm just a dick??  l was going to negotiate with you but now I'm not." It was that moment that he actually used that word in a meeting that l knew l was done.   Not because l'm easily offended but because l knew right there that he has absolutely no respect for me, and if l were a man, he never would have said that.  

A few days later his assistant e-mailed me and said  l talked him down to $300 more a month, and l said  consider this my notice to quit.   l think she was in shock because she kept asking me if l was sure blah blah blah. 

Now the good news is that a few months ago when l was not trusting him, l discovered this new salon that opened 3 blocks down from the salon and they are a station rental cooperative.   Before l gave  notice to quit l went down and secured a room there and you guys,  l feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders.    l'ts really fresh and new,  l'm still my own boss, same name, same number, l have keys so l make my own hours and appointments,  my assistant is coming with me, so like l said it like I'm picking up Lola Salon and plopping it 3 blocks south. 

I found a salon for the other stylists to go to (I totally didn't want them coming with me because l would always be "mommy") and l don't have to deal with bullshit anymore.   My rent at the new place is so freakin' cheap and there is no overhead, no personal property taxes, no paying for cleaning, supplies, trades to fix things, products and on and on and on.  

I feel like l have a new lease on life  lol   l didn't realize that the salon took up 60% of my brain space until l thought of letting it go.    lt was a great space,  l built my clientele there, l had a blast and really made a respected name for myself, but now it's time to move on and maybe coast for a while.  

I feel like I wanna cry.. I understand that you're happy to move, and I'm happy for you too, and I'm excited that you get to start again, with more control of your space, staff and business, but that cocky piece of shit. Yes, you're absolutely right, you were treated different because you're a woman. This is still where we're at if a man has any control of any aspect of our lives. I wish you would've owned the whole motherfcuking building. I'm sad because you had the salon so perfect. You put so much love into it, and for him to just come in the way he did, god, I totally understand why some people get jumped the fuck up.

I totally get that this must be weight of your shoulders. I can feel it is the way you;'re describing it. I'm glad that you're feeling this way. It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it?

I'm super excited for your new place too, but I'm trying to process this. I can't believe you're closing original Lola. :crying-and-sobbing:

So are you going to be the only stylist? is the space going to be much smaller than the old one? and what do your stylists think of all this? what does Todd think?

I can't wait to see the new space, and what you do with it. What will you do different this time around decor- wise, and business wise?

Let's do this! :michael-jackson-smiley-emoticon-2:

What a piece of shit! I can't believe he treated you like that. But at the same time, I'm glad you got that spider off from your life. Hopefully you won't have to see his prick face ever again.

BUT, I have to say, I feel happy for you, you sound relief and that's always a great feeling. I can't wait to see your new place.

Ha ha, yes let's do this!   The salon is already decorated i'll post a link to their website.   It modern and fresh.    It's odd because at first l was a little emotional, but after it sunk in how much money I'd save and still have autonomy it was a no brainer.  I don't have to go the supply house on my day off,  l don't have to come in and answer the messages for the other stylist, do the weekly bookwork, unclog sinks, buy supplies, and on and on and on,  on my day off.    l won't have an air conditioner that drips over the front door,  or get locked out of the salon because of an ice flow freezing our doors shut,  bail out the sinks when they get clogged, all of it.   Go into the basement when the breaker blows because three people were working at once.  and on and on and on.    l get to concentrate on doing hair and that's it. 

Plus, to be honest,  and l can only post this here,  my staff was driving me crazy.  l'ts like I was their mommy,  constantly interrupting me while l was doing hair over the stupidest things.   like a kid that asks their mom inane questions just to get their attention,  calling to ask if they have anything on their books etc.    l was just so over it.    Lola, l can't find the foils...they are where they have always been,  Lola do we have 20 volume developer....yes, it's where it always is.   Lola the Shampoo is empty.....then fucking fill it.  Lola we don't have a color I need for tomorrow....you are an independent contractor go to the fucking beauty supply and get what you need to do your job.    And the phone calls...do I have anything on my books for tomorrow,  what colors do we have in the dispensary (uhh only about 200 would you like me to leave my client and go so l can read them off to you)...will you book me on on tues at 1 and book me in at 3 on weds, and then book me off for Thursday and then l'll be in for 27 minutes on Friday.    You get the picture right.   lol 

My landlord is an asshole and l swear to you the reason he wanted me gone is because he couldn't intimidate me.  And let me tell you he tried.   But l had been there 20 years when he bought it,  l was his bird in the hand,  why would l be intimidated by him?   Fuck him, he did me a favor.  

So Rach, to be more clear, the salon is already decorated and it's a cooperative which is a new trend in the salon industry.   So I rent a chair for them for a weekly rent and the supply everything except my chemical supplies.   In this case they gave me a room, it's not closed off from the salon, it's just a bigger space and more private.  

It was really kind of funny because when l went to check it out l called to make an appointment and they asked me where l was coming from and l said l'd rather not say because l haven't given notice, so when l walked in and we were talking the husband said   "I just have to ask..are you THE Lola".   So I think they are happy to have me, and I'm happy to be there. 

wow, so you're not having a Lola salon at all? it's kind of like a booth situation? What a fucking relief. This is going to be a breath of fresh air to you. This is a life game changer. You go to work, do your thing, you come out, you enjoy life. That's it. don't bother me, don't ask me dumb fucking questions. Girl, I love it. I tip my hat off to small business owners, but there's something to be said about going in and not having to worry about SHIT! not having to worry about the books, the math, the employees, and being a referee when things go left. Even though I'm pissed about that asshole, I think this, along with the lake house is exactly the sweet combination you needed to enjoy your life. Now you'll have quality of life.

They call you THE Lola! This is so fucking, unbelievable awesome! :happy0064: I'm very happy for you.

Yeah, I love that too, THE Lola. That's right, bitches.

Image result for nene eye roll gif

12 hours ago, Geraldine said:

What a piece of shit! I can't believe he treated you like that. But at the same time, I'm glad you got that spider off from your life. Hopefully you won't have to see his prick face ever again.

BUT, I have to say, I feel happy for you, you sound relief and that's always a great feeling. I can't wait to see your new place.

hahah  the spider off my life!!   Yes, that's exactly it.  Thank you!   lt is a good feeling.  :dancing-cat-smiley-emoticon:

5 hours ago, Rachel said:

wow, so you're not having a Lola salon at all? it's kind of like a booth situation? What a fucking relief. This is going to be a breath of fresh air to you. This is a life game changer. You go to work, do your thing, you come out, you enjoy life. That's it. don't bother me, don't ask me dumb fucking questions. Girl, I love it. I tip my hat off to small business owners, but there's something to be said about going in and not having to worry about SHIT! not having to worry about the books, the math, the employees, and being a referee when things go left. Even though I'm pissed about that asshole, I think this, along with the lake house is exactly the sweet combination you needed to enjoy your life. Now you'll have quality of life.

Well, it's odd because the place is a collective,  so l will still be  Lola Salon Inc, l will still file corporate taxes (just no payroll  ya-fuckin'-hoo!!)  do my banking as Lola Salon keep my salon accounts with vendors and  answer my phone  Lola Salon etc.  So while the building is called Fern and Dales, I'm doing business there as Lola Salon.   By all measure l still own the business, it's just in a different salon space. 

l am so ready for this and it can't come fast enough.    That motherfucker landlord actually did me a favor.   Shady people never prosper, he will get his.   The best part....he has to retrofit the whole place for handicapped accessibility because l was grandfathered in,  and now that is lifted, it's going to cost him thousands and thousands of dollars!   And l'm on the planning commission for Pleasant Ridge(the town the salon is in) and they are not going to grant him any variances.   :m1908: 

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

Yeah, I love that too, THE Lola. That's right, bitches.

Image result for nene eye roll gif

Say my name!   lol

Gera I thought that was so funny,  l was like....well for what it's worth yeah,  I'm the lola.   lol lol lol

OHHH I see.. Now I understand! that's so awesome! So you're still Lola! :s1204: so have you started telling your clients? or how is that going to go about. Is asshole going to allow you to put up a temp sign that directs your clients to the new location?

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

OHHH I see.. Now I understand! that's so awesome! So you're still Lola! :s1204: so have you started telling your clients? or how is that going to go about. Is asshole going to allow you to put up a temp sign that directs your clients to the new location?

Yes,  l've started telling them all and because it's literally 3 blocks down the street they will all come.   l hope he lets me put a sign up, but knowing him he probably won't let me, but the girls at the business next door said that they would tell people.    That's why I'm trying to be civil to that douche bag.

Now l just want to vent here for a minute and I'm probably going to sound like a bitch, but one of the things that was keeping me awake at night  was what are my stylists going to do.  l didnt' want them coming with me but l didn't want to leave them high and dry either .   Gene has been with me forever and he is semi-retired.  He comes in reads, does his clients he's like a fixture so l was really concerned about him and Amanda doesn't promote herself, and acts like she's doing everyone a favor(she's also the one who l described above constantly interrupting me over the stupidest things)but l was really still concerned, and Mike only worked weekends.   Mike is getting out of hair altogether and Carolina is coming with me.   But it really gave me a sick feeling worrying about where they would go.    One day l was running errands and saw this salon sign that said   Bleach  llc.    So when l got home I googled it and it looked like a cute little salon and it said they are hiring.  So I texted Gene and Amanda and told them about it.  They interviewed, got the jobs  and are getting the exact same deal that l gave them, so it's perfect for them.  You know Amanda never once thanked me.  And it's not like I want accolades, but once again I do the heavy lifting for them and it's just expected.   One of her clients asked how she found out about Bleach and she said...oh, I've seen it before.   What??    And now she's saying that she is going to promote herself like crazy, and get out there and build her clientele, and I'm like fuck that.  You used to lay around watching Netflix and call in to see if anyone was on your books and NOW you are going out to promote yourself??  What the fuck ever.     Anyway,  that bullshit is over  l just had to get it off my chest. 

I would be livid with this girl, Amanda. But, she sounds lazy. I don't wish her bad at all, but if she really wants to build up her clientele she is going to have to mover her butt and actually work! I don't think they won't be looking forward to work with her if she sits around watching Netflix.

What the fuck... god some people are just so oblivious to their own selfishness. I was going to ask you about them, if they were going to want to rent space at the same location to be close to you, or simply for want to maintain familiarity. You're too nice to do that for them. I would be up at night too, but I would've told A off long ago. lol I'm a huge bitch like that, especially when I'm stressed the fuck out. I can't imagine the dynamic in a salon. I used to watch this salon reality show, it was so good, and boy the drama! I'm really surprised you weren't in here venting every week. lol

Sorry to hear about giving up your Salon space but it sounds like your getting a better deal for you which is awesome.

Congratulations on your change! I wish you all the best.

I could not imagine having to deal with employees so this must be such a relief, especially when they are not grateful when you go out of your way to help them.

So many great things happening for you. I can so relate to that feeling of freedom not having to deal with a staff. I love the sign of the new place. When are you opening there?

Maria, l'm opening on April 1st, so it will be here before l know it.   l just want it done and settled.  l have moments of sadness but then I think back on why l decided to do this in the first place and the sadness vanishes with a quickness.  lol

Thank you for your support ladies.  xo

I can't wait to see how your first week goes. You're probably already booked to the 9's.

Wow!!!! Well I am glad it is a good change for you :D It sounds like you are making the best choice for you, which is great!

Wow Lola, just wow! I am so surprised but I understand.

Thank you Aprile and Millie.   lt's all very exciting.  

The color is off on thes but which one do you girls like best? I leaning toward the first one image.png

I like both 1 -2. They look great! I think I'm leaning more towards 1.

I like 1 the best with 2 a close second. I like how the name pops on the first one.

Thank you,  I think l'm going with 1.