Rachel

Let's talk make-up

50 posts in this topic

First I'd like to state that all the products I list here are Cruelty-free. There are so many amazing high end brands I'd love to try, and can't because they're not cruelty free, which sucks for me, but I feel better knowing I'm being a responsible consumer. I have accidentally bought a couple things without checking if they're CF, but that won't be happening in the future because I plan on checking every single item from now on.

I'll start this thread with the topic on foundations. To begin with I just found this site that helps you figure out what foundation to order through the internet. Because we all know it's impossible to figure out your shade of foundation through the internet. All you do is enter foundations that you've used in the past that are really close to your own skin tone, and it will give you a list of all brands within that tone zone. Brilliant.

Findation.com

my link is this:

http://findation.com/searches/3970660

I suppose that will change as I try new brands that truly are closer to my real skin tone. I use clinique even better Honey 06, and Too Faced Born this Way, Light Beige.

Even better, companies are now creating white foundation, and darkening drops that allow you to change the tone of your foundation if you've ordered the wrong tone. This is just genius.

Image result for is manic panic foundation cruelty free

darkening drops, also great for if you want to add that bronzy look to your foundation.

Image result for darkening drops for foundation

Love findation, it's easier now for me to find a foundation, and it saves me gasoline to the store to change what I just bought for a lighter or darker shade.

To answer your post in your journal so I don't clutter it with make-up talk, I'm not so much of a make-up addict as I am a high-end palette addict. I want to be a makeup addict, but DANG!!! everything is so ESSSSpensive!! (like kathleen lights would say) lol

I like the high-end because they are the most evenly and heavily pigmented. Because I'm older, I don't like to work an eye shadow into my eye too much because then it wrinkles the lid. I noticed that with coastal scents. They're trying to dupe the Naked palettes, but I had to really work with the shadows into my lid. I'll buy other things from rx, but not shadows. But I really want to get the Mad for Matte shadow from elf which is a rx brand. It was on the list of tope palettes for 2016. I always make a b-line right to the elf section whenever we go to the supermarket.

Btw, how do you like the buff palette from boxycharm? Honestly I didn't think I was going to like it because I knew right away they too were trying to dupe the naked palette, but omg, I really love all the soft pink mauvy tones. I think it's such a J.Lo palette. I'm going to have to get the original naked to compare them. I know I'll love them both. I actually used one of the pinky ones from buff last night to blend the smoky look.

I noticed that you have a lot of high-end foundations. I wanted to try the armani SO bad! I hear it's like butter. I really like my Two-Faced but I want to test more, like the Anastasia foundation sticks. They looks so creamy smooth.

I haven't use the pink palette yet, because I always felt a little intimidated of the naked 3; I love pink, mauve, taupe eye shadows, but for some reason my mind would go blank about what looks can I do with it... I feel like either I can do super gorgeous looks with it or right flat pink disasters if I'm not careful. I need more practice. I have used the palette with 9 eye shadows, though. Those colors are so right my alley. I love the 9 ES palette! Anyway, I started looking for tutorials for the naked 3 palette so I can make a look with it. I need to play with it to recreate this look (day look)

Of course, this girl looks beautiful!

High end foundations have me like :happy0045:I have nothing against drugstore foundations, but I think the fact that I'm able to get samples from counters and sephora, has influenced about what I get. I haven't bought any in the last months, because I like to read/watch reviews about certain foundation I might want, ask for a sample, etc. But OH MY... The Armani luminous is my favorite, it looks like you're shinning from within, doesn't look cake-y, doesn't feel heavy and it looks so freaking good in pictures, like you're born like that. One other nice foundation I like is the Sephora 10 HR wear foundation, it looks good in pics too and it's "affordable" for being a Sephora brand foundation ( I think is $20). I need to posts pics of me wearing those 2 foundations, for real, they're the shit.

BTW, in the boxy charm came an under eye cream, can't remember the name... It's the bomb! BOOYAH! I'm oily but my under eye is dry af, and that cream refreshes and hydrates. Love it! Thank you, really.

Please don't mention it. As far as the buff palette, girl, you just have to go with it, take a big chance. Get in front of the mirror and just play with it. I'll give you a little pointer about that palette. when you want to smoke out a darker look, use the pink tones over the top of the dark to blend them together, it works like a charm!

are you talking about the icelandic cream for stressed eyes? I've used it a couple times but haven't noticed a difference, then again, I'm much older and I need a LOT more help than a little tube of creme, lol.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try tomorrow so I can rock it on the weekend :michael-jackson-smiley-emoticon-2:

Yes! that one, the Skyn cream. I'm going to put it on my fridge to make it more potent.

I have the Naked 2 Pallette and I've loved it forever. It's lasted so long. My sister has 3 as well. I want it so bad. I just signed up for GlossyBox and I'm supposed to get my first one in a few days. I can't wait! My sister in law has Glossy Box and ipsy and she always gets such great stuff. We went out one night and I used one of her high end foundations and omg. The difference with a good primer is amazing. My skin looked fantastic. I've never been one to eer wear foundation. I'm obsessed with eye makeup and that's all I usually use. 

Yesterday I went online and did some retail therapy. Was watching Kathleen lights video. I know she's like a super young baby, but her eye looks are very much my style, I think it's because she has that yellow undertone that I have as well, so all her looks look good on me, maybe it's because she's Latina too. :)

I ordered this yummy eyeliner from urban decay. I saw KL wear it with this beautiful bronzy sultry look. so beautiful. I'll post the video below.

Image result for Mainline (deep green-blue matteImage result for Mainline (deep green-blue matte

ordered the two faced better than sex mascara that I keep hearing amazing things about. My favorite mascara of ALL time is one by benefit, but I found out they're not cruelty free, and it;s crushing because I never had a mascara experience quite like that before where I look like I have kind of have falsies on. Hope this new one will deliver.

Image result for Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara

I also ordered a two faced concealer. I tried two different Tarte concealers, but they don't even come close because TF is so creeeeamy!! it blends in so well, whereass Tarte you have to really go in at it with the beauty blender. I can't be rubbing product in my skin like that because I'm older and I have loser skin. Last time I ordered medium, and felt it was too dark, so this time I ordered light medium.

Image result for Born This Way Naturally Radiant Concealer

Because people keep raving about it, and it's on everyones list of 2016, and all time fav, I finally caved and got the original naked palette.

Image result for Naked Palette

So these are the two looks I want to do with all my new makeup :s1217:

I adore this look. *swoon*

see how the blue eyeliner goes so well with the bronze? who would've thought?

Then I got an empty z palette from makeup geeks, and a few pans to start with.

Image result for Z Palette Large - Leopard

twilight

Image result for Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Pan - Twilight

Homecoming

Image result for Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Pan - Homecoming

This one is actually a dupe I was forced to get because the original is from mac, which is beautiful but they're not CF. :( Mac needs to cut the shit. (Peacock)

Image result for Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Pan - Peacock

bitten

Image result for Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Pan - Bitten

Here is a video of HL talking about some of her fav MG pan shades.

I ordered 4 of these.. Image result for embarrassed smiley I go through buying splurges from time to time.

Love the first tutorial og the teal smoky eye. KL makes very nice tuts.

I have the better than sex mascara, but, take in consideration I use waterproof mascara only. The WP better than sex does give me very nice long, curly, lengthy lashes. Beautiful mascara. But, it flakes on me. AT the end of the day I see mascara flakes on my under eye. That's what I don't like. I hear it flakes in some  people, and on some don't.

One tip I read a long time ago, to save some $$$, if you want to buy a high end mascara, get the sample/travel sizes, they're cheaper, some times free, and will last you the same as a regular size mascara, supposedly if you throw it away 3 months after opening. I got the WP Better Than Sex in travel size and I was glad I didn't got the regular size since it's not my favorite.

I also cave in after many years of being on the fence and got the Soleil tan de Chanel and the Vitalumiere Aqua foundation. I went Wednesday to get them, and paid for it, but the sales lady told me that they are having an event today, and will be giving away a bunch of samples, so I'm going today to pick up my stuff + samples.

Chanel Soleil Tan De Chanel Swatch Too Faced.jpg

chanel-soleil-tan-de-chanel.jpg

chanel-vitalumiere-aqua-foundation-review-swatches-2.jpg

I like the channel of Kimberly Clark, she started a series called "anti-haul" and it's very funny to watch. I would like to make anti-haul videos too, lol. For exmaple, Lisa Elridge, the MU artist of the video I just posted, she is Creative Director of Lancome, and even she has done nice things there, she just came out with this gimmicky shit, the Rose

SPRINGCOLLECTION2017TUTORIALTHUMBNAIL.JPG

Supposedly, it's a flower with highlighter just dust over. I went to the Lancome stand and saw it and swatch it. It's just a cardboard round box with a dollar tree rose with a minimum, tiny amount of highlighter on it. And it's $60 a pop. No. No. Not even as a collector item. No. The rose does look cheap made. I wish I took a pic of it. Maybe today I will. I respect Lisa Elridge but this thing made me cringe.

that chanel tan creme looks so whipped. Gera, you're lucky you have smooth skin, you can probably wear any foundation, and it'll all look good on you. I have to consider old acne marks, and wrinkles, plus my malar creases. Those really piss me off. Out all the people in the world I had to be born with them. I have a nice forehead though, lol

I think next time I'm going to get the palette Dee has I believe it's the Naked 2. I don't think any dupes come close to the originals.

Aw, thanks. But I hate my big pores, my foundation gets stuck there no matter what I use. I'va tried several primer and products and kind of work. I'm gonna ask my Dr to recommend me a dermatologist, maybe I'm doing something something wrong with my skincare routine.

The naked 2 is the only palette of that line I have. I like its taupe-y shades. 

I saw the mirror you posted on instagram, girl, what a dream, looks so nice. I want one, and started investigating about it and found this video, about the light bulbs that this woman uses in her MU studio. Ladies, I apologize, because it's in Spanish, but it basically says that the ideal temperature to put on your makeup is 3400 degrees Kelvin, so your makeup looks good on any light. She uses one warm light bulb and one cool bulb... let me post the video in my next post.

awesome, thanks, I'm going to watch it right now!

She makes a lot of really good points on wearing makeup using natural daylight, vs lighted mirror.

You probably seen this ytuber, but I wanted to link you anyway. She has 2 channels. I love her spanish channel a little more because I can relate to her as a person more. She annoys me in english.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcgRBM89GnWLKfcqOiSJNcA

Thanks! I've seen some of her videos in English, but I didn't know she had a Spanish channel too! Let me check her out.

Not sure if you ladies would be interested in this sub box, but I signed up for morpheme. They send you makeup brushes every month.

Free Brush - LiveGlam

Oh! I will sign up for the brushes box. One month to see what they send.

I must've signed up at the perfect time because they already shipped them. Hurry, maybe you'll get yours sent tomorrow! I usually have to wait one whole month.

I ordered a couple other things. Actually more than a couple.. it's actually sickening how much money I've spent on products, but fuck it I'm depressed. In my defense tho, we donated money to the ucla, and before the holidays I also donated to Syria. I always have to go through my typical buyers guilt..

but I went to ulta and bought like 5 lipsticks because I noticed I keep buying the same tones without realizing it. I also just ordered the lorac contour creme palette. I'm excited about this because I've been in the market for some a contouring kit. We'll see how it works.

Image result for lorac contour cream

I can't wait until my glossybox arrives. 

I bought new Opi nail polish yesterday because I do the same thing with nail polish. I buy all the same shades most of the time and I was getting sick of having the same ones.  I got the color Passion because it looks good with my tanned skin right now. I'm also on day 9 of working out and eating clean so I was feeling desperate. I need to buy other beauty products when I want to stuff my face :roflol:

16651280_10154984382779122_1489203382_o.jpg

I'm not big on nail polish because of my job, but I got one in boxycharm from the Zoya brand and tried it during a stretch of days off, and it lasted forever, it was a beautiful color, and the longer I wore it the better it looked. even Chuck was amazed.

I think this is the color I got, and best thing is that they're cruelty free.

Image result for zoya nail polish

I just received tracking for my boxyxharm, I'm super excited. 

I got my glossybox today. yay! Its like Christmas :roflol: Rachel, I'm going to try that brand. I love that color.