mprill

Scranton Life

76 posts in this topic

Time for a new Home Journal.

scranton-life.jpg

We are finally in possession of the keys to our new east mountain home ...

IMG_1876.jpg

More photos to follow later this week as we begin the month long process of settling in.

I'm following too! Very excited for new journals :D

Congratulations Mar!   I can't wait to follow as well.  Oh and tell Joe and Jill Biden I said hi!:beerchug:

Hi ladies. I'm so sorry for the delay in photos but I have been without internet at home for what seems like forever. Scranton life has been a bit complicated since the purchase. I'll explain more when I'm not eating up my phones data.

here is a shot to keep you in the interim:

image.jpegimage.jpeg 

Very nice! I love the colors the owner chose for the house. They picked great complimentary warm tones.

Your cat is so sweet. Looks like he's enjoying the property:t4426:

Yea Mar!!   I can't wait to see the rest.   I love the property,  I'm so excited for you!

Awww your cat looks lovely.

Your house looks so pretty!

I love the Front Elevation of the Home.  The stairs to the Front door are so inviting and I am very partial to Red Front Doors.  Nothing says welcome better to me than that.  The yard looks amazing, lush and green.  I wish mine was that way but it is brown and crunchy.

Can not wait to see how you put your touch on the home..

11 hours ago, karmadiane said:

I love the Front Elevation of the Home.  The stairs to the Front door are so inviting and I am very partial to Red Front Doors.  Nothing says welcome better to me than that.  The yard looks amazing, lush and green.  I wish mine was that way but it is brown and crunchy.

Can not wait to see how you put your touch on the home..

My yard is brown and crunchy too... and also is my neighbors. I think is the damn heat...

I FINALLY HAVE INTERNET!!!! OMFG - I hate Comcast SO much...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/l32a2f9Vypg

But this finally means I can get this journal up and running.

My Husband has summed up the events of this past month so well. Here is his laundry list:

• Bank gave us a free colonoscopy in going over finances to make sure we could buy here even though we were going to sell a home that was worth 50% more than what we were buying and we had been floating a mortgage + rent for 5 months prior to closing.

• At our closing for buying the new house, the bank didn’t have our paperwork ready. Held us up for 30-45 minutes. The seller’s lawyer misspelled Marleen’s name on the deed and was on vacation in Aruba during the closing. Still don’t have a good deed for the house.

• Originally had POD scheduled for drop off on day of closing not thinking that closing was at 11am and there was a chance drop-off could get scheduled prior to closing. Of course the windows was 9-noon. Called our realtor to call theirs to get permission to have it their but the seller’s realtor wasn’t picking up the phone so reschedule for 2 weeks later.

• Finding out at least two items from our home inspection list weren’t really resolved (hot water heater works like shit & mop sink is clogged and fills up when you run the washer). Update - Plumber due here on Friday. Likely that we will need to replace the Water Heater.

• Comcast originally came out Aug 6th to do install but found all the cable runs to the drops were cut at some point. Need to get electrician to rerun and add one in my office. Comcast was scheduled to come back out Aug 27th now that all the runs are in place but the installer had wrong address and phone number and didn’t correct with office and just skipped us. Next scheduled date is Sept 6th. This means I get to work off a 4G cell card for the week and ran up an additional  $200 on our cell phones in data charges. Finally installed on 9/6 - took the installer 3 friggin hours to install two cable boxes and our modem. The guy who did my apt. when I moved here - it took him a half hour for the same amount of stuff.

• About 3 days after closing on the new house, Marleen discovered black mold in the basement closet. We think we have it isolated but can’t bring anything down there yet. Looks like it's being caused by condensation from the water pipes. Used Bleach and Baking Soda. Has not grown back however we are probably going to need to tear out the carpet down there (in the closet area) and see what's going on underneath because there is still a funky smell down there.

IMG_1922.jpg

• The weekend that I was here to accept the appliances, have the locks changed and have cable drops rerun through the house, I planned to head back from PA to MA Saturday afternoon. It was also the weekend I brought or cat Buddy up from MA to PA to live in the new house. The ride up Thursday night he was stressed out 2/3 the time. Made for a long 6 hours in the car. Got him here and he cried until 5am. Finally, he settled down. POD arrived Friday morning and I unloaded it. More items he recognized probable helped him a bit. We didn’t have a real bed in the house, we were using an air mattress. Original plan was to use that until after the following weekend when we sold the MA house and then we would get a U-Haul and get the bed from Marleen’s apartment up to the house. That night the air mattress got a leak and we got to sleep on the floor. Saturday after the contractors left we got a U-Haul and got the furniture early and pushed back be going to MA until Sunday meaning pushing back the last of the packing through the early part of the week.

• Got new appliances for our kitchen. One was this nice French door fridge with the freezer at the bottom. Was told it would fix based on the measurements. Problem is the fridge cabinet and the opening aren’t perfectly square. Took a belt sander to the opening to get the fridge in part way. Cabinet door on the left hits the fridge and doesn’t close nicely. Doors over the cabinet hit the fridge hinges and don’t open all the way. Going to have to problem solve this one a bit.

• I scheduled movers 3+ months in advance to lock in a lower rate. I gave them solid dates 45+ days out. Because it’s a long haul move (300+ miles) I have to give them a 2 day window for pickup. OK 8/24 & 8/25. Stated drop could be no sooner than 8/27 as we were closing on the sale on 8/26 in Salem, MA. Marleen is in a black out period at school as far as taking time off (first 2 week of school year but they make exceptions for things like closing on the sale of your house). I get a call on 8/23 confirming the move. We will do the pickup on 8/24 with drop off on 8/25. Wait what?!?! But it says 1st drop off is 8/27 in my file. I know but we have other loads and we need to get your stuff off the truck. We need you to make arrangements. Of course I can’t tell them to go fuck themselves because it’s the busiest move period of the year and would cost me double to get someone else if I could find anyone else so I get M to take the afternoon off to receive. The 2 movers were horrible. Vlad and Boris. Almost forgot a box. Didn’t take something I asked. Blocked my street for 4+ hours instead of pulling into my driveway which was completely clear. But it all got here and mostly in tact.

• Discovered the prior owner had a mortgage that was improperly discharged on our title on the house in MA. Thankfully we had title insurance but it took our lawyer until 9:30am the day of our closing of the sale to get the issue resolved because it was that much of a clusterfuck. Note to all you ladies -if you buy a house get the title insurance - seriously, it would have cost us close to $6,000 to correct the title mistake if we didn't have the insurance - worth the few hundred bucks.

• Finally day of closing of the sale. M and I leave at 9am so the buyer can do their walkthrough at 10am before 11am closing. I get a call at 10:15 from my realtor. “There is a puddle of water near your bulkhead.” Shit I’ve never had water there before and it wasn’t there before we showered. That sounds like it’s under the tub. So we go back. Meet the buyer and his realtor and take a look. Sure enough looks like some waste water spilled onto the floor under the tub but nothing is wet pipe wise so we can’t pin point where it came from. Buyer agreed to monitor. I gave him the name of my GC I’ve used for 4+ years and told him I’d let him know what’s going on. If work needs to be done we’ll call him and I’ll pay for it. Thankfully the buyer is a very level headed and was in my shoes before (day of closing had a shutoff valve behind a washer brake off in his hand day of closing). Update - turns out that when I was cleaning the tub I must have broken the seal on the caulking around the tub and it cause a leak. The new owner re caulked the tub and no more leak - phew!

But we are in and things are starting to come together. I promise some interior photos soon. But I need to head to bed.

Oh my freakin' god Mar,  my heart was racing reading that post.    What in the actual fuck??    I swear closings could put people over the edge.     And moving...that is one of the worlds biggest stressors.      I'm glad you are in, and will be getting settled.    I hope all of this fuckery fades in your mind and you guys can enjoy your new home. 

I was grinding my teeth reading at your post! OMG! I swear, I hate moving and closings. There are so much things to do and even you put all from your part, the other people involved don't deliver. I'm glad you are in your new house now, and with internet.

Classic case of ff anything can go wrong, it will go wrong! I get anxiety just reading this. Takes me back to all the times we were so close on closing with those other houses, then something would always go wrong. I'm glad you have most of the things resolved that you're in your new home!!

We had a mold issue in our basement that got so bad that we called a re-mediator who wanted over 5k. So Chuck did a search online, and found a product use use to scrub out all the mold, but you need a hazmat suit, which is what he used, then we invested in a very good de-humidifier, and since then no more mold problems, and we fixed it ourselves. If you need more detailed info on how Chuck did it, I'll ask and share with you.

Thanks Ladies. It's been a complicated month. Just exhausted from all of the crazy.

But I promised some photos - these are from this evening:

Living room in progressIMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2009.jpg

Kitchen in progress with our new appliances. Notice our fridge that sticks out too far. We are going to work on that this weekend.

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

That's it for tonight. Our new bed gets delivered this weekend. I'll share some more shots from the upstairs once I have the bed in place.

Wow your living room already looks so homey.  I hope you find comfort there.     I want to make a nice meal in your kitchen.   It's going to be so lovely.  I can't wait to follow your progress.   xo

your living room is like a hotel suite. I love how elegant it looks. The fireplace stonework is beautiful.

Do you mind my asking where you got that square lamp sitting on the stone mantle?

Your kitchen is so sleek and modern, and the island is HUGE! must be a dream cooking in it. You have great taste.

Your house looks so inviting, I would like to sit next by your fireplace and read. Love, love, love your kitchen. You have great taste, indeed.

On September 8, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Rachel said:

your living room is like a hotel suite. I love how elegant it looks. The fireplace stonework is beautiful.

Do you mind my asking where you got that square lamp sitting on the stone mantle?

Your kitchen is so sleek and modern, and the island is HUGE! must be a dream cooking in it. You have great taste.

Thanks Ladies :-)

Rachel - I Think I got the Lamp from Home Goods but its at least 4 yrs old if not older. Not sure if I could find it again if I tried.

I love your living room and kitchen so much.  Just beautiful.  I am sure the rest of the house will be just as gorgeous.  Can't wait to see more pictures...

Omg. I can't believe all that went wrong for you guys!!! Ugh! 

The house looks beautiful though! I love how everything looks. Here's to smooth sailing from here on out!

Thanks ladies. Yeah, we met with a contractor yesterday - well I should say Jim met with a contractor yesterday, I've been down for the count with a head cold for a week (Damn germy college students). We are having our water heater replaced since we have been taking luke warm / cold showers since we moved in, we are also having him take out the section of wall where we had the mold in the basement. When we pulled off the baseboard there was more mold behind it so the wall needs to go. He's also going to tear out the carpet in the basement and we will finally see what is under there. Assuming there is not a larger mold problem than we think, we are going to lay a vapor barrier and either vinyl or wood laminate flooring. He's also going to install screen doors on the front and rear doors so we can have the doors open to bring in fresh air.

We also had a Buddy scare this week. On Thursday we let him out before breakfast at 5:30 am. I set out his food and called him to come back in around 6:30 am - no Buddy. I was sick so I went and laid back down. Came back down at 8 am. Still no Buddy. Usually we can hear the bell on his collar if he's moving around in the neighorhood but nothing. Dead silence. So we waited. Lunchtime rolls around, still no Buddy. Then we see what we think was a fox with mange roaming the backyard. Crap!!! Did this thing chase or scare Buddy off. So we fret all afternoon. Jim drives the neighbor hood twice. Around 5pm, still no Buddy so we decide to walk the neighborhood. Nothing. When we get home Jim posts him missing to the Lackawana County Animal Shelter and calls animal control. 8pmish, i see a black cat walk past the back door. I ran to the door hoping it was Buddy but the cat was into the dark backyard before I could get there but then I hear Buddy's collar. Go to the front door and he waltzes right in. THANK GOODNESS. He hasn't been the same since he came back though. I think he got spooked by something (either the fox or the bear or another feral cat) but ended up getting locked in to wherever he hid. He now won't go outside without us being there or us leaving the door open. Maybe that's not such a bad thing

But on a more house related note, I'm going to be doing some painting. I decided where I'm going to put one of our paintings from the last house.

IMG_2026.jpg

The floral painting is going to go in the space above the stairs but triangular area on the right of the painting needs to be patched and repainted as well as the space at the bottom of the stairs. So I've decided to go with Shermin Williams RR10 Brandywine - I think it will pick up some of the colors in the kitchen and the living room carpet while transitioning nicely to the greenish grey basement space.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7710-brandywine/#/7710/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

IMG_2024.jpg

I hope you get better, it sucks feel like that.

I would lost it if my cat gets lost, thank God Buddy came back. I hope he calms down as the days pass.

I also hope there is no more mold.

Love the painting!