lolagirl

The Earl

174 posts in this topic

I know what you mean about the dog,  but I want to shoot the owners when the no one is looking.  :machinegun:   And we are at the very  end of a dead end street in the woods.   So that fucker had to have been letting his dog really run loose.    He has a really bad rep in that whole area.      But he's gone!   Boom,  bye bye mother fucker.  :spanka:

3 minutes ago, lolagirl said:

Boom,  bye bye mother fucker.  :spanka:

:happy0194:you just made laugh!

Oh that just looks so relaxing, and totally my style up there,  rustic material with sleeker lines.   I just bought a few stings of lights to hang up outside!    Thank you!

Totally Love the patio look.  If you have a  World Market, look there for Outdoor Inspiration like that....

So relaxing looking...

Girl,  I love me some World Market,    you have to be careful tho because some of their stuff looks good but is not quality.  

We went up this weekend and got a lot done.    I painted the foyer and got new lighting fixtures for there.    I have pics but they don't do it justice, they came out real dark, but it looks really cape coddish.    It was a dump!  Old rusty fake brass fixtures, and flat yellowish walls.   I still have to do the doors white  but it will feel really beachy in the summer and cozy in the winter.     

Oh and we found morel mushrooms!!  We didn't eat them but how cool was that?

haha, I love it! I can't wait to see you on a row boat on the lake this summer. Do you swim in lakes, or are you chicken shit like me and are afraid of all the creepy crawlies underneath the surface?

Can't wait to see the progress. You sound very happy about how the Earl is turning out.

The lake is really clean and clear, so I'll swim in it for sure,   my dad lives on the bay and it is so crystal clear so I'll swim in that too,  but if I can see into the water at shallow depths,  I'm not going in!    No way.   

Thanks Gera,  it seems like I keep getting small things done but the big things are at a stand still.    Taking out the wall is a BIG project for us,  but a small job for a builder so it's hard finding someone that qualified because we need supports etc.   So we have someone coming sat. to quote the floors and a guy coming to look at the walls.      It just never ends.....oh well.

I can't believe in this day and age it's hard to find qualified contractors who aren't full of shit. Good luck, I can't wait to see the progress, or you guys just chilling by the pines. :t1610:

Haha,  we are totally chillin' by the pines.   And yes,  as you know contractors suck!!

If you are at your Happy Place, I hope you are having an amazing weekend.  Enjoy your new found peace!

You need some of these in your yard.  I plan on getting 4 more next season.  They are extremely comfortable and easy to put together.  THey are the Composite wood so they won't rot outside.  Purchased these at World Market...

InstagramCapture_d4de2dbb-82b9-4c27-acb1-41dbc2e4029f.jpg

The walls finally came down!  Thank god, we found a really good builder who was so clean, fairly priced and did great finish work.    Now the floors.   Sigh.

Before and after....

13450993_10154364412693694_5701572123432315573_n.jpg

13394032_10154364412698694_5181566262203892238_n.jpg

13442123_10154364366953694_4981418780393507812_n.jpg

Wow - he actually cleaned up. You found a good builder for sure.

The space looks great!

So the first picture is of the entry way.   You can see the wainscoting in natural wood.   That plastic floor is coming up so disregard that.   So this is an example of the woodwork.   In the second pic you can see the white trim in the back in the hallway,  the natural trim in the big room and raw wood that I'm trying to figure out what to do with.    I originally wanted to paint all the trim white,   but then I thought it would lose it's cottagey feel and just be like a normal house, and I'm not crazy about the stain that's on the existing trim but it's not horrid.   So my question is....what do I do with the raw wood.   If I paint it white,  I feel like I would have to paint all the trim.   The flooring I'm getting is going to have some warm tones like the trim mixed with cooler grey tones to pull it all together.   HELP ME!!

image.jpeg

image.png

Here's a video that starts in the main hallway and goes into the main room. Remember it's a construction site. But it will give you an idea of all the different wood finishes I'm working with.

IMG_0152.MOV

I'll try to find better examples but for now I'll try to explain my thoughts.

The hard part about having different types of wood is that they will never look quite the same when you stain them unless you use an opaque wood stain which is basically painting the wood a color but you could still see the grain.

However, Minwax has an interesting new product you might consider if you want stain:

http://www.minwax.com/how-to-finish-wood/change-stain-color-with-polyshades/

My other thought is if you have an element that is consistently the same type of wood you could stain that element and paint the rest. For example - if the top rail of the wainscotting matched the door frame trim maybe those elements get stain and the panel below and the base get a color. These are not exactly what I am looking for but imagine the white rail, base and door frame on the left as wood

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 11.11.47 PM.png

I totally get what you are saying Mar,  thank you.    I'm going to check out that minwax, because if I could just get a touch more of the cooler tones on the wood I would really dig it.      I get what you are saying in the second part of your post,   like the consistency will bring it all together,  I just don't want the painted wood to look cheap and get rid of that cottage feel.    Like it's just another house, but up north.    Thank you for your advice.   So many options.....     Someone also said,  if you stain it first and don't like it you can always paint it,  but if you paint it first  you can't go back and stain it without a ton of work.   So there's that to think about

Removing paint is definitely a pain so trying to stain the wood first to get the result you like would be the thing to do. You can always paint over it later.

I can't play the video! 

That's tough, man. I agree with stain first then paint if you don't like it. One thing I will tell you though is to not obsess over matching the stain to the exact color. You know our house has a lots of wood trim, and I drove myself crazy trying to match wood socket covers, wood blinds, and even the wood toekicks under the cabinets. We got it as close as we could, and honestly, no one, not one person will ever notice the difference. If anyone came to your house and did, they'd just be a hater looking for shit to hate on. That's how I had to release it to the universe.

Good advice Rach,  just get it as close as you can.   That's what I'm going to do.