lolagirl

The Earl

174 posts in this topic

I think my last journal was lost,  and you guys know the torrid story, so I'm just going to jump in and show you our progress so far.   It's going to be a lot of work and we've made some headway,  I picked my paint colors,  found a contractor to tear out the walls and build a bar, we picked out the flooring but we still need to find a flooring company to install.  

Paint colors are all Benjamin Moore:

Walls:  Revere Pewter

Cabinets: Rockport Gray

Master Bath:  Smoke

Guest Bath: Wilmington tan

Trim:  Floral white.  

Here are some blue bathroom before and afters image.thumb.png.5095491a6bb5be7c1a7a3296image.thumb.png.fee8db81dbe317158de27c59image.thumb.png.3f81ebe763dbb63c1db7d01f

cabinets in progress. Rockport Gray

image.thumb.png.7a0a8281f7dbfe5dde67d293

image.thumb.jpeg.e929c089958591fd06a1bb9

image.thumb.png.738773538fc7285ac01d102a

image.thumb.png.f1c214b7046a883009797c48

image.thumb.png.2dc00142b199495a60d08259

image.jpeg

image.png

Construction site!  

Cabinet painting

image.thumb.jpeg.0072c5ee3854e6f91ecbfdd

Tearing out the th

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The line on this wall indicates where the half wall will be that will  divide the dining room from the kitchen, otherwise it's all one big room with the kitchen, living room , fireplace area and dining room.

Sorry about all the effed pics and double pics but my phone is being a bitch right now.  

You've been busy! I can't believe how much work you've done already! the SS appl. gives the kitchen a complete instant makeover. The fireplace looks great too! I can almost picture glass door cabinets in the kitchen looking at them now without the doors.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the cabinets.    I wonder if I'd have to have them custom made?

I went up yesterday and almost finished the cabinets.   I will NEVER paint cabinets again.   EVER.      And there is this finish on all the walls,  I think they call it orange peel.   I don't know why it's there but it's like this coating over drywall that gives it texture.   It was either the style or I think they did it so the drywall wouldn't crack if you winterize the cottage.     That shit is a BITCH to paint.   I painted the bathroom with a really thick nap roller and I had to do a ton of dry brushing yesterday because the roller doesn't get into all the little peaks and divots.    Sonofabitch.  

Short story....The lady we bought the cottage from had sold it to this family on a land contract and they defaulted.   But she let them stay and rent it because they had kids and she felt sorry for them.   They were fucking pigs.    They put a few holes in the wall,  just used duct tape to  put plastic up on the windows  which left tape gum on the mouldings, we removed the dishwasher and there was a fuck ton of crap under it.   Dog bones, beads, pacifier, just a ton of shit.    I saw they way they lived in one of the online pics when the house first went on the market, and they were just slobs.  So Marian went in after they left and cleaned and primed as much as she could for a single older woman.      But every time I'm up there I'm cursing them and their pigginess.    I need to get over it so I don't have bad feeling,  I've done a sage smudge, and some internal rituals, but I'm just hating them the whole time I'm there because my jobs take twice as long just to get rid of their funk.     I think when it's done I'll be over it, but I hope that those bad feelings about the previous owners don't linger. 

Thanks girls,   I have a lot of work ahead of me....

Will you be leaving all of the Moldings the Wood Look or painting  those white?

I love all of the colors you have chosen, makes a huge difference

7 hours ago, karmadiane said:

Will you be leaving all of the Moldings the Wood Look or painting  those white?

I love all of the colors you have chosen, makes a huge difference

Thanks,  I can't wait for this to be done.   We are painting  the wood trim because we are getting ashen barn wood floors and the light oak won't go.  

2 hours ago, lolagirl said:

Thanks,  I can't wait for this to be done.   We are painting  the wood trim because we are getting ashen barn wood floors and the light oak won't go.  

I think that will look really good.

Usually I am not a fan of painted brick but I love how yours turned out.  Really looks rustic.  I know the getting it to your taste sucks but when it is finished you will be so happy to relax and enjoy what you have done.

23 hours ago, karmadiane said:

I think that will look really good.

Usually I am not a fan of painted brick but I love how yours turned out.  Really looks rustic.  I know the getting it to your taste sucks but when it is finished you will be so happy to relax and enjoy what you have done.

Yes, you are right.  I need to put my patience hat on that's for sure. 

14 hours ago, lolagirl said:

Yes, you are right.  I need to put my patience hat on that's for sure. 

Ahhhh, it will get better as you see more improvement and things are complete.  That is when you will be able to enjoy more.....

Mine is still a work in progress, not as much as yours but we still have alot of improvement to do.  New fencing around the whole property, moving the pool, building a building for the Boat and on and on....

It's going to be very exciting when you're done, and will be able to finally sit down with a nice glass of wine in your new LAKE HOUSE!!!!!

Don't forget to send me a copy of those keys, tia.

Going up this weekend to rip up flooring.     Yea. 

Keys are in the mail hummingbird. 

Floors, that's the best part, that's where you see all your hard work coming together. I'm excited to see the before and after. What kind of material are you choosing?

Good luck this weekend! I want to see the results :)

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:16 PM, Rachel said:

Floors, that's the best part, that's where you see all your hard work coming together. I'm excited to see the before and after. What kind of material are you choosing?

We are doing Luxury Vinyl Tile  in a 8 inch barnwwod plank.   We can really use hardwood because we don't live there full time and have to turn the heat down when we are not there.   They just don't recommend it. 

We just got the walls down,  didn't get much done on the floor.   

11 hours ago, lolagirl said:

We are doing Luxury Vinyl Tile  in a 8 inch barnwwod plank.   We can really use hardwood because we don't live there full time and have to turn the heat down when we are not there.   They just don't recommend it. 

Remember the reclaimed vinyl wood I posted that we wanted to use that looked SO real? The only reason we didn't go for it was resale value, in case we want to sell down the road, but it was stunning. It's going to look amazing, the way they make the vinyl look like wood is amazing!

Oh no wait!!! the reason we didn't get the vinyl, I remember now perfectly, was because they wanted just as much or almost as much as they wanted for the real hickory, so we went with the hikcory, but that was going to be my choice. That's how real to life they make then that they're charging just as they would for wood.

let me see if I can find it.. ok, found it, I posted it in my journal so i wouldn't clog yours up .