Rachel

Random news stories

185 posts in this topic

Wow, that's crazy about the google search!

This annoyed me. And I'm not against kids being limited in certain places...but what this owner did was unprofessional and ignorant.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151549809256476&set=pb.6276351475.-2207520000.1375542999.&type=3&theater

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Local-angry-218193092.html?c=n&fb=y&can=n

What the hell does it matter that she is a military wives? like it's suppose to give her special privileges or something. I hate all this rah rah American bullshit. There are many single mothers who have to take their kids out with them everywhere they go.

I agree though, it seems like the owner kind of over-reacted to the kids making a mess, and why would she post it on FB. She kind of looks bitchy. I bet the kids were acting like brats though. I don't think it's not so much that they were making a mess, but i could picture it, kids were prolly flinging food all over the place, and the mom is just sitting there like an idiot not saying anything to her kids.

I don't care that they are military wives, but this is a regular old coffee shop.

The owner never said the kids were being brats this is about some crumbs ending up on the carpet. The owner specifically berated the mothers in front of other customers because of the crumbs and just said they'd spent $50 on cleaning the carpet. We can't just input an assumption about what happened and take sides (bad behavior was never mentioned by the owner or the mothers).

Anyone who knows anything about child development knows their fine gross motor skills aren't developed at that age. I can't imagine any 1 or 3 year old eating anything without making crumbs. If the bitch of an owner doesn't want children in there, that's her choice. She should put up a sign, but don't wait until someone comes in and pays money for a service to bitch them out publicly then post it on Facebook. It just makes her look like an ignorant asshole (which she clearly is).

She should team up with Amy from Amy's Baking Company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XjgHEctcy0

Yes, i agree that kids motor skills aren't well developed at that age, of course they're not, but some people just stand there and allow their kids to make all the mess in the world. From the picture posted it doesn't seem like a great pile of food was on the floor, but at the same time you wonder what the hell was the mom doing that the kids made that much of a mess. That didn't seem like a lack of motor skills, it seems like a parent who just let her kids eat whatever way they wanted to eat. I know the photo didn't do justice to the real mess those kids made. I agree that the lady seems very bitchy, and as a business owner she should have just taken it on the chin, but I've seen situations where I could see why an owner would ask people to please not come back.

It didn't say the kids acted like brats but that's what a lot of readers assume when they read this article.

What the hell was the mom doing that the kids made that much of a mess?

I guess I don't know what you mean by that. A 1 year old and a 3 year old were eating a scone. Scones crumble, and some fell on the floor. It's not that much food. That looks like a small pile of crumbs IMO. How is the mom supposed to stop that from happening? Every single meal my almost 3 year old eats at our table involves me sweeping up under it after. It's common, and normal. I don't think I "let" them make messes. It's just how it goes. The act of a child lifting crumbly food to their mouths means some is going to crumble and fall on the floor. The mom was holding the 1 year old in her lap, and the 3 year old was sitting next to her. I guess moms are supposed to carry little handheld vacuums around in their purses to clean up messes off the floors when they eat out?

And I agree whole heartedly that there are situations that warrant asking people not to come back. Trust me, I can't stand other people's kids usually. Especially if they are loud, obnoxious, make messes or disrespectful. But this individual situation doesn't warrant it. The owner was only concerned that she or her staff might have to vacuum the floor and what it cost. I'm sure she'll lose much more than $50 in business because of this. It's too bad that people make assumptions about stories without reading the facts though. I read a ton of comments where people were saying the kids were brats and good for that lady for kicking them out, but that's not what happened and the story never said that.

I just have a hard time believing that in the years that lady has been in business she asked those kids to not come back for no good reason. I guess it's because when I go to public places I see children behaving so badly and parents not doing anything about it that it's not far-fetched that the kids did something that deserved that reaction. I mean, i'm sure kids go in there everyday since it's just a basic cafe. it's not like a fine dining restaurant or anything.

I think she'll definitely lose the business of moms and army wives who are insulted by her reaction, but I think it will even out with the support she'll receive from people who are sick of kids acting up in public and restaurants who don't make an effort to do anything about it.

Remember the guy in Pitts. who banned kids under 6? he got a lot of support for his decision because a lot of people were relieved that someone finally said it out loud.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/11/restaurant-bans-children_n_894548.html

I would go to that restaurant.

One of the comments there

I think it's a great idea. They should extend it to airline
flights, movies, and grocery stores too. There needs to be special
adult-only hours.

WOW!

I went to the bank on Wednesday, and kids are everywhere now because they're having vacations, and I did like a 30 min line. While there were more kids than usual, they were behaving good. Just one little girl started to throw a tantrum because her mom refused to hold her in her hip. This girl screamed at the top her lungs for several minutes. Of course, we all were in a bad mood hearing the tantrum and some started commenting on how the mom let her scream like that. Until the mom (finally) rise her up, the girl stopped. but it was just because she was at the cashier and she couldn't hear what the bank cashier was saying because of the yelling. So, at that point, that's when the mom found it annoying?? What about the last 15 minutes??

I know we are not born with a "how to be a star parent" manual, but come on. The rest of the kids at the bank were playing with tablets, or crayons... the parents brought something to keep the kids busy while they had to run their errands.

All of this is irrelevant to this situation. If the kids had been noisy or acting out the owner would have said so and defended herself instead of making generalized statements about how it's her right to refuse service to anyone. That shows that she was just feeling the pressure to defend her decision because she was being unreasonable.

I agonize every time I take my children out because I just know if they make one wrong move someone will shoot me a nasty look. My job as a parent is hard enough. Sometimes kids throw tantrums or have meltdowns. It happens. My life doesn't stop just because I had children. I still have to pay bills, buy groceries, and run errands like everyone else. Adult only hours for places like grocery stores? Really? I can't imagine being that self absorbed.

We have a good family friend whose daughter and son have autism. Sometimes her daughter screams when they are in public, drs offices etc. . She's had people be so mean and nasty to her about her daughters behavior. It's disgusting. When she tells them about her daughters medical conditions they sure feel like shit, as they should. Being judgmental isn't always a very good thing. Just because you perceive something a certain way doesn't mean you are right or that it actual is the way you think it is.

I just know if they make one wrong move someone will shoot me a nasty look.

I would love these people to be around the kids I see misbehave, because it seems to me that the entire world is totally oblivious and blind to kids screaming their heads off. Sometimes I look around to see what other people's reaction is and I feel like I'm in the twilight zone and everyone are stepford people. Sure kids have tantrums, but when you see parents who are so desensitized to their kids bad behavior, you feel angry and disgusted by them. How can you not?

I sure wouldn't want to have a kid that's truly autistic, because there's been reported a rampant case of over-diagnosis, but I'm not going to sympathize with every screaming child on the off chance he/she is autistic, because unfortunately many kids are just plain brats, and the parents need to be dirty-looked for having to subject people to that bullshit. I'm speaking as a person who was once a parent myself and if Joshy acted like that, oh boy!

I don't think hours should be set for when children should go to the market, the bank, restaurants, etc. I want to see children out in society, I think it's a beautiful thing, I love to see nice sweet children, it's a joy for me, parents just need to discipline their kids, period, and if a kid has autism and is acting up, walk him the fuck out. That's what i would do if i had a kid with issues. I wouldn't subject people to that. People make way too many excuses for all kind of bad behavior in our society for kids and adults alike.

My boss, you should see her kids. They are true angels. They are the sweetest kids you could ever meet because she's a no nonsense parent. She's a great mom, and super supportive and protective, but at the same time she is always making sure they are behaving properly. I mean she's on it 24/7. That's really rare these days. I think in today's society you have people who are just tired of parenting and let their kids do whatever the hell they want.

That lady does have the right to exercise her right to not have them in her restaurant anymore, for whatever reason. It's America, you can do shit like that.

eta: I'm in a pissy mood today over alot of things, so I'm going to stop talking about this. It's something I feel strongly about and I know we're just not going to agree so we should just agree to disagree.

You made an assumption about those kids that isn't based in fact simply because you've seen kids elsewhere behave badly (which is irrelevant).

True, I did, but because it simply doesn't make sense that she would throw the kids out for making crumbs. To me it seems like she got a lot of backlash, and out of anger she stated that she was just exercising her right. I'm just wondering how is it that other people with kids don't go in there on a daily basis and make the same exact mess, I know they must, even worse probably. I don't know. There is something fishy to this story.

idk, but it's not completely unreasonable to believe that this woman could possibly be a nut. Maybe it's something that's bother her for a while and she just decided to say something about it this time? Maybe she's a nut, maybe the kids are brats, who knows, we just weren't there so we can't say for sure. As a side note, did you watch that Amy's Baking Company video? It's crazy. I'm curious what you think about her, lol. She was on Gordon Ramsay's show.

idk, but it's not completely unreasonable to believe that this woman could possibly be a nut.

Lmao, it's possible she just snapped like the movie Falling Down.

Yes, I watched that show a while back when that was all happening, someone posted it on a chef site, and I'm shocked they were still in business when ramsey came to them because the way they spoke to people was unbelievable. I was really shocked. The only thing is that the way the media went after them afterwards was so crazy. I hate when the media bullies people. it's like when they went after tan mom. Sure the lady is a nut job, but leave her the hell alone. If she is doing something wrong, charge her, but stop camping out in front of her house all day and night with cameras.

I don't remember it (obviously) lol, but I just heard about this last week and was starting to read about it. Do you think she wrongfully accused him? She's maintained the story is true all these years I gathered.

I heard her name when my FIL called anyone supporting the arrest of Zimmerman the "Tawana Brawley's" of our our day or something like that. So I decided to read about her.

To me she lied about it. I'm not sure if you read that she was just afraid of an ass whooping from her dad for staying out late, and there was a witness called to the stand that testified that they saw her getting inside the trash bin she was found.

her father killed his first wife and went to prison for it before all this happened. That's so crazy.

Another restaurant banning kids.

http://blog.chron.com/29-95/2013/08/la-fisheria-bans-kids-under-8-years-old-after-7-p-m/#14664-9

https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Fisheria/139204669505965?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

I love a lot of the responses.

I'm
a convicted sex offender, and a condition of my release is that I'm not
allowed to be around minors, so I support your policy.

lmfao

Now this woman is saying that the kid was throwing a tantrum. Wondering why she didn't say anything about it before. She also didn't talk about her "sarcastic" comment previously either.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Crumby-Facebook-post-gets-cafe-owner-in-hot-water-218447501.html?tab=video&c=y

I knew it was about behavior. I just knew it. Being in the restaurant business I know kids make messes, and staff doesn't freak out over that, it's the noise and the tantrums that drives people up the wall.