Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lolagirl

Ninja vs. Vitamix

38 posts in this topic

Yeah, I'm torn now too. We need a good all around one.

Yeah, I'm torn now too. We need a good all around one.

Vitamix then for sure. Everytime I see a chef's home kitchen they have a vitamix. I suppose if money is an issue the Ninja would be the best in it's class and price range. Maybe I really need to watch more ninja videos, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

So a few weeks ago I took my Ninja back (after having for 2 years and using 4 times) and got the Vitamix. I took it back to Costco they are good like that and I got a credit, waited until they had a Vitamix event and bought one!! I'm so flipping happy I did that. This fucking thing rocks. Yes it's hella expensive but worth every penny. You can make ice cream, soup, almost anything. It came with a recipe book that I will use for idea and technique in the beginning. Like the recipe book tells you what order to put the ingredients in to get the full benefit. I make a smoothie every morning or evening and it's so easy. When you are done you put warm water in the carafe, pulse it a few times, rinse and it's clean as a whistle.

I can't believe this was even a debate for me. Aside from the cost difference there is no reason to buy a Ninja if you can afford a Vitamix.

It was cool to watch the demo, the best tip I got was to put a slice of lime in your fruit smoothie. You can't really taste it so much but it gives the smoothie a bright fresh taste. This thing chops ingredients so fine that you can hide spinach and other veggies in the smoothie without really tasting them.

This thing sounds like a plane taking off but that's because the motor is crazy fast. That's how it heats things like soup. The other thing I love about it is the motor is so strong and the blades are so sharp that if you add seeds or fruit with seeds to your smoothie it cracks the hull so you can get the full benefit of the seed because that's where the phyto nutrients are, and the seeds don't pass right through you.

Another feature I love is that it has settings, so for example you want to make a salsa, you don't want that smooth so it has a chopping setting, if you are making a soup, you just switch it to the soup setting and walk away. If you are making ice cream or something frozen it has a setting for that, and it has a smoothie setting. It's amazing because when you put it on the smoothie setting it starts real low and hums, then it starts pulsing , then it whirrs away.

This thing is crazy smart. I'm going to resurrect that juicy thread to get some ideas and inspiration.

We have two of them at work, and they're great for really emulsifying liquids together to such a creamy consistency. I can't wait to see all the things you make with it.

I want a Vitamix too. I've been checking reviews online and many people say the Vitamix is way superior. I just need to save some dough.

Yeah, Gera I really had to think about it because it is so expensive, but I use it everyday so I feel justified. My friend bought his wife a refurbished one and saved like $200 and it's fine. Maybe you could look into that.

Here's a recipe my nutritionist gave me, to make green juice. It tastes like shit, but it is a detox juice.

Spinach

1 carrot

1 cucumber

1 small tomato (I use roma tomato)

1 apple

1 stick celery

water

I add 1 whole lemon. Peeled with the knife, cut it in half and seeded.

I drink it every other day, I don't like the flavor but in case somebody wants to try it out.

I have a magic bullet, and make it there, sometimes I strain it to drink just the juices, sometimes I don't.

I have all those ingredients in the house. Maybe I'll try it tonight and let you know what I think.

I found some sites with vitmamix recipes.

http://enthusiasts.ciachef.edu/vitamix/

http://www.surlatable.com/category/cat1400418/

I made coconut milk with the vitamix at work. I took dessicated coconut and put it in the blender, and poured hot boiling water in it, let it sit for a few hours, then blended it, and strained it with muslin cloth. As a matter of fact I used that milk to make the vegan cheesecakes, and they came out fantastic. I suppose you can also make almond milk in much the same way if you ground the almonds first.

I've basically been making smoothes with it because I've been so busy, but now that summers on the horizon and things are slowing down I'm really going to start exploring deeper. I'd love to make coconut milk and almond milk.