Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deirdre

House fire

61 posts in this topic

Hey girls. Around midnight our home caught fire and we barely got out with the girls. It started from the clothes dryer. We are all safe and staying at my moms. I was/am so terrified. Nick and I are so thankful our babies weren't hurt . Flames reached over half the house and into the upstairs ceiling. My sister and brother in law got out too. Thankfully we have insurance and have already talked to them. The firemen, emt, red cross workers have been amazing. They responded so fast.

I'm just heading to sleep for a couple of hours, but wanted to let you all know. <3

I'm sitting here with my mouth gaping in disbelief! first of all I'm so happy the girls are ok. Like seriously, I feel like I want to cry for them and so happy they're safe. I'm glad you're all safe!

What is it with all these BBB fires? first me, then Kymberlee, now you. What is going on?! and all within the span of a year!

Dee, I'm just so happy you guys are ok. There's something so traumatizing about that exact moment you realize your house fire is out of control and the fire dept has to be brought in. It's really one of the most surrealist experiences you could ever live through. I hope you're more calm and relaxed by the time you read this, sweetie. Please tell Nick I'm sorry this happened. and kiss the girls for me too.

wow. I still can't believe it.

I am so sorry! Glad you all made it out safely. Did you guys lose a lot of things. If you guys need anything please let me know. Once again glad everyone is safe.

Yes, if you need anything let me know too.

I forgot to ask about the rabbits.. are they ok?

OMG this is so shocking. I'm so glad you guys got our ok. With the girls that had to be absolutely terrifying.

I have heard about dryer fires how did it happen?

If you need ANYTHING let us know Dee please.

Oh my gosh! That is terrible! I am so glad that you are safe. What a terrifying experience for your family.

If you need anything - clothes, shoes, toys for the girls - let me know. I'll hit the local Freecycle right away and ship it up to your mom's.

Keep us posted. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Dee - I'm so glad you and your family are ok. How terrifying. I'm so sorry.

Please keep us posted. We are thinking about you.

If you need anything please let us know.

That is awful but I am so glad you got out ok. If you need anything dont hestitate to mention it.

I am sharing this post with DH because I keep asking him to help me move the dryer and washer so we vacuum the back out and get the lint out.

Thank you all. I just got my laptop out. It was in our bedroom which is the only room that LOOKS untouched by the fire. The bedroom door had expanded from the heat and sealed the door shut. It is very smoky though and I think we'll need to replace it.

Thankfully almost all of our important documents and papers, photos, & both computers were in our bedroom.

The only sentimental thing I have thought of so far is several VHS tapes of me as a kid, and videos of my grandmother who passed away. I'm sad, but just thankful we are all ok.

I'll probably journal about what happened when I can sit and have the time. Nick has my cellphone right now, so I don't have the photos I took today.

The official cause of the fire was from the dryer. A wire in it can ignite after the shaking over time of the washer and dryer damages it. That's what sparked and the fire was in the wall, even before I say the flames from behind the washer. The fire inspector came today for a few hours and dug through everything to determine the cause.

We have GREAT homeowners insurance through Allstate. They have put us up in a hotel suite (two separate bedrooms with a kitchen) for the week. We are looking at a house to rent today. It's all being paid for by the insurance company, they estimate covering housing costs for at least 6 months. They also advanced us some of the money to cover emergency expenses. The Red Cross gave us money to immediately get the girls & ourselves new winter jackets, shoes, boots, ski pants, gloves and mittens. The outpouring from community is incredible and overwhelming. I feel like we're going to wind up with too much stuff, and I hope we can pay it forward in some way. We had content insurance on everything in the house too. We'll have to make detailed lists and go through the house with the insurance adjuster.

I took some pictures on my phone, but Nick has my phone with him and I have his. He's getting some new shoes for himself and getting Amber from school. He's also setting us up a P.O. Box so we can have our mail forwarded.

I'm just sooooooooooo relieved my girls are OK. That's all I care about, my family is safe. My brother in law and sister were sleeping upstairs, and Nick ran and woke them up. I was in the freaking driveway in sub zero temps in my underwear! Our EMT friend who lives a few houses down immediately showed up and took his SOCKS off his feet and shoes and put them on Nick. Just incredible. The firefighters showed up very quickly and covered us in blankets. I'm so glad I had one blanket in the car, so I could cover up.

The girls are handling it all really well .Sadie just keeps asking why we can't go home, or when will we be able to? It makes me sad, but I know she'll adjust.

It's just sad knowing we can't go back to our house and we'll probably end up buying something else in the area.

I am sorry about the sentimental things lost. Maybe the fire didn't get to the reel of the videotapes and can be salvaged. It is wonderful that you have a supportive community and how quickly everyone responded. Kudos to Allstate for being so good. Like you said the important thing is you are all safe.

God those details are chilling. Dee, I can't tell you how happy I am that you are all safe. That scene in your driveway sounds like one of those horrible comercials, but it happened to you.

I'm glad you have what you need for now but again if you need anything let us know.

So glad you and your family are OK and that the community came out to help. I really hope you can find a new permanent home soon.

Can't believe this happened to you. You were so excited to be back home. It's hard to believe you guys are in a hotel. Thank goodness you have that great insurance. I love that everyone has come together to help you. Remember we're here too. I'm just so glad you're ok the girls are ok, and your family are all alright.. I told Chuck, no more leaving the dryer on when we go to bed. I can't believe it. I sound like a broken record, but I'm so shocked for you.

I know you're so busy, and you can answer when you can, but were you able to get the bunnies out?

Rach we weren't :( they were in the laundry room. Amber especially is so sad about that and nick too, because he saw them being engulfed in the flames. :(

It really does feel like "this isn't happening to us"

Whenever we get back into more permanent housing I want to get the girls a kitten or something to help fill the gap. I might get another Angora rabbit again sometime but I honestly feel like it might be a while before I can.

Nicks meat rabbits were in the outside shed and they are all fine.

Everyone keeps trying to make us feel better by saying we should focus on the blessing that's going to come out of this through the insurance. And of course we will be better off financially but that doesn't excuse the terror at almost having lost our lives. I was so terrified (that word doesn't even describe how I felt) when I thought my baby girl amber might be gone or that I couldn't get to her. You know what I mean? No amount of money is ever worth that and I wish people would stop bringing up the insurance settlement. The blessing in disguise comments are overboard especially so close to this disaster.

Oh and my sister is terrified right now of staying with her in laws because they have a dryer in the house. Poor thing. I really feel so bad for them.

And my amazing husband went to bath and bodyworks last night and surprised me with a bunch of stuff including a stress relief aromatherapy bath soak. He was working so hard al day with all of the inspectors and adjuster. He's in a lot of physical pain himself and he thought of me. He kept his head iron the fire and didn't let me run back in after we were all out and safe becuse I was NOT thinking clearly at all. I felt like I couldn't think. he's my hero.

Oh Dee, I just finished reading the part where you almost went through the fire to save Amber, but she was already outside. Thank goodness! Your sweet, sweet girls. I knew the fire was bad but not to this extent. I'm so sorry about your home. but I'm especially sorry this happened to your family. I can see why the "you should be grateful" comments would get to you. It's too soon for those remarks.

Your poor bunnies. I'm so sorry about them too. :cry2:

Oh Dee I am so sorry about your bunnies. Reading that has me in tears. Amber is incredibly smart to be able to remember what she learned and was able to react properly.

As for the BLESSING, wtf? Nearly losing your family & all you worked for is far from a blessing. Why do people always think of a financial gain instead if realizing all the loss.

I'm sorry about your rabbits Dee. Reading that article about the fire it makes it feel so real, like when I read the article when Rach had her fire. Just horrifying.

I'm not going to say that it was a blessing in disguise, but I am thankful that you have good insurance and I am glad it will help with your transition. No fire is ever a blessing in disguise, especially when you were terrified for your family's safety.

I'll keep you guys in my thoughts.

I'm so glad that you and your family are safe, and that is wonderful that Amber knew just what to do! And that Nick kept is head about him. But I'm also so sorry to hear about your beloved bunnies, and everything you lost. I can't imagine how your sense of security is shaken after something so terrible.

Your community sounds wonderful, and this is probably the best ad for Allstate I've ever heard. We're here if you need us, thought, even if it's just to vent about the crazy crap people are saying to you.

Here are some pics.

Dining room

393782_10150614720289122_594604121_10890699_5700328_n.jpg

Kitchen

397818_10150614722094122_594604121_10890705_1837620108_n.jpg

Laundry room where the fire started

398373_10150614718204122_594604121_10890697_1271818607_n.jpg

The melted door bell thing, and all the paint bubbled and tons of layers of wallpaper came off.

408035_10150614737654122_594604121_10890719_814141871_n.jpg

Living Room

403588_10150614725264122_594604121_10890712_1390334040_n.jpg

kitchen

402656_10150614721279122_594604121_10890704_1497149680_n.jpg

inside the windows

407267_10150614724669122_594604121_10890711_1231009988_n.jpg

Nick and Eva snuggled up together sleeping the first night we could sleep after the fire, Monday Night.

405617_10150612698394122_594604121_10885221_1322406091_n.jpg

amber and sadie's Room

397909_10150614723014122_250704974_n.jpg

Those pictures are so telling..I'm in utter disbelief. You must be beyond comprehension right now. I know it's just material stuff, but you worked so hard to make your house a home. Losing a house to something so tragic and sudden is not really about materials, but about losing a dream, so that's what people don't get about it and they say you're so lucky, and whatever. I'm so sorry about the loss of your home. I'm glad the girls are all safe and sound. I see those pictures then I see Eva who looks so clean and protected in Nicks arms... Dee, i'm just so relieved you guys are ok.

Did the girls suffer any smoke inhalation at all. Did you guys have to go to the hospital?

The laundry room looks like something out the history books of Nazi Germany.

Oh my god, Dee. I can't imagine what it was like for you to walk through and take those photos. I hope you're able to salvage some of your things... that is just terrible.