Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aprile

Gay Rights

47 posts in this topic

After reading that both Rachel and I support Gay Rights... I was just wondering what people think about this question

Should gay couples be able to adopt children?

Just curious what people think and why. I have my opinions, but I would like to try and keep this attack-free, beacuse I want to know why people would and wouldn't agree.

:)

I absolutely think they should be able to, and they should have to go through the same screening and application process as everyone else. If they are deemed fit then absolutely yes.

I think people take issue with the fact that they would have two mommies or two daddys and it would be confusing to the child. To that I say they would be better off with two mommies or two daddys then they would be with A LOt of people out there parenting children.

I'm sure somewhere out there, there are bad gay parents, but I have yet to hear of a gay couple that has adopted a child and abused it. I personally think gay people make even better parents than a lot of foster families out there. Almost every month on fox news, they announce how a foster parent has abused or killed a child. Usually when you see these foster parents getting hauled into the police car, they have a north face jacket on or rags on their heads and look all thugish. Those are the kind of people I would initially discriminate against adopting a child.

I know you asked that question in the most innocent way, Aprile :) but when people on tv..especially people on networks like CNN or msnbc ask that question, and they're actually discussing it with "experts", I look at the tv like wtf? aren't these people suppose to be educated and unbiased? it's just insane to even make it a topic.

Rachel, I agree it is insane. It shouldn't be an issue. If the parents are fit and loving and have the desire who cares what their sexual prefrence is. Why is that even an issue?

"They" were bashing a childrens book about having same sex parents.

51VEJR3SASL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsit

Yet I have not hear one word about this book. Explaining why you had to get elective plastic surgery to your kids. :rolleyes:

mommy_540.jpg

You see, that really pisses me off. It's ok to look like a whore around your kids, which in the end, is all sexually related, right? but then people are paranoid about the sexual orientation of people that usually don't carry on like that in public. I don't get it.

I 100% think that gay couples should be able to adopt. Look at it this way.

There is a couple. A loving couple who have been together for 10 years. They have a beautiful, loving home. They have the perfect American home. 4 bedrooms, big back yard, park down the street with kids playing, great school district. They have a loving extended family. Every holiday is a celebration of family and friends. They have wonderful friends and neighbors. They have great jobs. They are the perfect couple. They want children so badly, but they can't. They've tried for years and years, but they have been unable to. Their hearts break every time they hear about one of their friends becoming pregnant or when they see children running in their neighborhood. They have so much love and support to offer a child, they want nothing more in this world than to be a parent. But they can't. The only reason they can't is because they are gay. That is bullshit. No other word for it.

People argue that you need a man and woman to raise a child. What about the children who are brought up in single parent households? What about the children who are raised by a man and woman but are abused, neglected? What about the kids that move from foster home to foster home because no one will adopt them? I know for sure that a hell of alot of those kids would be adopted if gay couples could. But our system thinks it is better to have them shuffled around the system instead.

I could write about this forever, but I have to go get some work done. :)

I love you ladies. It makes me so happy to see this because I totally agree with every word.

the most common offenders are heterosexual males. one of the most common arguments I hear is that the gay men will molest the children. it's completely unscientific and not based in reality. and a child is more likely to be sexually abused in a foster home than in a permanent adoptive home.

even if your religion is against homosexuality, what does that have to do with them parenting? your religion is probably against adultery, divorce, too, so should those people also not be allowed to have children? what about children whose biological parents are GLB? should they be taken away? this argument makes no logical sense. and if you admit that it makes no logical sense, but your religion says it anyways so that's what you believe, then consider the fact that this is (supposed to be) a secular nation, and your religious beliefs have no impact on what anyone else should be allowed to do- you wouldn't accept it if a religion other than yours came in and told you what you're allowed to do according to their beliefs, so don't do it to the rest of us.

many times, the GLB community is more likely to have couples willing to take the foster children who are older, have issues and need more attention. It is extremely harmful to these children to narrow their options even further by limiting their adoption to heterosexual people.

I definitely think gay couples should be allowed to adopt. There's so many kids out there who need loving homes and so many people who would love to take them in. I can't see a logical reason why gay couples shouldn't be allowed to adopt at all.

I feel strongly that gay couples should be allowed to adopt! I also think single adults who can demonstrate an ability to provide a stable and caring home for a child should be allowed to adopt. One or two stable and loving adults in your life is so so so much better than the alternatives... who wants a kid to go through a life of foster homes and instability?

I feel strongly that gay couples should be allowed to adopt! I also think single adults who can demonstrate an ability to provide a stable and caring home for a child should be allowed to adopt. One or two stable and loving adults in your life is so so so much better than the alternatives... who wants a kid to go through a life of foster homes and instability?

ITA!

It's sad to think that some kids are going in and out of the system not having a stable and loving home when there are able and willing people ready to adopt them. It's through the countries own ignorance (and of course political system) that is not allowing this to happen. It's the children who really suffer and that to me is sad.

I very much agree with everyone that they should be able to adopt, with the same necessary qualifications as anyone else. There's enough unwanted children and unwilling parents out there, how about giving people who are very willing and want children very much, the opportunity to have them.

I was thinking last night about my friend James. He was in a heterosexual relationship for years and was married. They had 2 kids. They got divorced and he came out as gay. He's a father - a wonderful father. He's a better parent than his ex-wife, as a matter of fact. It has nothing to do with him being gay. At all.

One of my closest friends I went to cooking school with, is gay. This week him and his life partner will be celebrating 10 years together. I use to live with them in Harlem when I was down and out. I love them both. One of them is black (farley) and the other PR (luis). Luis has a family member who had two kids, and she didn't take care of them. She was whoring herself out in the streets, addicted to drugs, and dropping the kids off at peoples house, and not picking them up for days, even weeks. Luis finally took her ass to court and fought for the kids. Now he's their legal guardian. They go to school, he's taken the kids to Paris, soon they'll be going to Scotland. They have a stable lifestyle and they seem to be adjusting pretty well so far.

No one can tell what the long term emotional damage the mother has caused, but at least now they have stability that can be built on. The point is, Luis and Farley are great parents, and a straight couple couldn't be doing it any better than them imo.

So I guess this brings us to the question...why would someone be against gay marriage? I know some zealous biggots say that eventually it will lead to us letting a man marry a goat (because you know how those gays love their goats).

I would really like to hear a good rational argument opposing gay marriage.

So I guess this brings us to the question...why would someone be against gay marriage? I know some zealous biggots say that eventually it will lead to us letting a man marry a goat (because you know how those gays love their goats).

The only argument I've ever really heard is "Because that's not how God intended it". :rolleyes:

Personally I don't care who you are and what your sexual orientation is. If you are a good parent and can provide for a child then you should be able to adopt.

Me too, I keep coming back here to see if anyone is against it. I would love to know the reasoning behind it.

I took a GLBT awareness class when I was working on my social work degree and I wrote a paper on this topic. I see no problem with it at all. I would much rather a child go to a loving home then be moved from foster family or group home placement repeatedly until they age out of the system. If someone is willing to give them the chance of a home filled with love then so be it. I have heard people say that they shouldn't be allowed to adopt because the kids will get picked on in school. So what they may get picked on at school because they have two mommies or two daddies but kids these days are going to pick on other regardless and if it's not for one reason then they'll find another reason. But at least then they would have a loving home to go to instead of a parent that beats the crap out of them all the time, etc.

because you know how those gays love their goats
:rofl: I'm dying.

I'll try goat, only of it's cooked though.

The whole issue is insane to me. With everything that is wrong with the world, we should encourage love in any form. With children dying everyday at the hands of parents that never should have been parents, why should anyone with love to give be denied the opportunity to give it...and be able to form families with the full support of the law.

The whole issue is insane to me. With everything that is wrong with the world, we should encourage love in any form. With children dying everyday at the hands of parents that never should have been parents, why should anyone with love to give be denied the opportunity to give it...and be able to form families with the full support of the law.

ita. I think the focus this is receiving is unnecessary. It's just as idiotic to asking if a Latino or black should be able to adopt.

I'm for gay marriage. And have yet to hear a logical explanation from those opposing gay marriage to way they feel that way. Most things I have heard on media or wherever has something to do with God. But, it seems as if the substance behind there argument just isn't there. Like I and others have mentioned already in this post we can give good solid reasons as to why gay individuals should be able to marry. However, the reasons I have heard from those who disagree just seem to be lacking what the pro's have.

I have lots of gay friends and would love to see them be able to marry if they had the opportunity and wanted too!

You have to go to OLU for that.